*** Our first Training group started 4/12/21. It’s about helping you bring universal principles to daily practice. CLICK HERE. for info and to join wait list. ***
Welcome to a place for practical, fresh thinking about psychotherapy, based on recent science supporting the idea of a common infrastructure that underlies the action of all therapies. Your practice will be transformed (quietly) when you focus on therapeutic processes, rather than a set method. My personal mission is to make this knowledge accessible to all.
Recommended Free Starting Places:
- Subscribe to TIFT: “Tuesday is for Therapists” — A free weekly newsletter with nuggets and tidbits for clinical therapists. Try it here, no obligation.
- The Common Infrastructure of Psychotherapy. An updated free eBook presenting a modern view of psychotherapy starting with an infographic.
- Howtherapyworks Podcast: A 26 episode audio course following the chapters in the textbook below, but in an interview format with Amelie Southwood, LMHC, EMDR. Free (for now).
- Browse the blog as it has evolved since 2010, when it began.
- ResearchGate.net. “The Affect Avoidance Model: An Integrative Paradigm for Psychotherapy.” You will need an account to read the article I co-authored at Jeffery Steven Smith, or ask me for a copy.
- Psychotherapy: A Practical Guide, a textbook of psychotherapy not aligned to any school or orientation, but compatible with all , published by Springer, 2017. (See “Bookstore” for a link to Amazon.)
- Consider becoming a Howtherapyworks Learner.
- Free: Getting the Most From Your Therapy: Become an Educated Consumer, (Libentia, 2019) a free eBook.
- How We Heal and Grow: Thee Power of Facing Your Feelings, (Paperback, Libentia 2014, see bookstore/Amazon)
- Attachment to Your Therapist: A Conversation. (eBook, Libentia, 2015, see bookstore/Amazon)
Jeffery Smith MD DLFAPA
© Howtherapyworks.com 2021